Skip to content

Text size:


Information hub for individual employers and personal assistants

Information hub for individual employers and personal assistants

The information hub for individual employers and personal assistants is a collection of resources containing information, useful documents, links, videos and news stories. It is supported by Think Local Act Personal (TLAP) and is intended to be the go to place for individual employers, personal assistants and the organisations that support them. It is available at

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)
ACAS aim to improve organisations and working life through better employment relations. They help with employment relations by supplying up-to-date information, independent advice and high quality training, and working with employers and employees to avoid or solve problems and improve performance.
Free advice is available from:
Telephone 0300 123 1100
Text relay 18001 0300 123 1100

Association for Real Change
ARC’s mission is to champion the development of high quality person centred services for everyone with a learning disability within the UK. They also run PA Net, which has information and advice for personal assistants and those who employ them.
Telephone 01246 555 043

This independent charity helps to find criminals and help solve crimes. They believe that people and their communities have the right to live without crime and without the fear of crime. They run an anonymous

phone number that you can call to pass on information about crime.

Telephone 0800 555 111

Disability Rights UK

Formed through a unification of Disability Alliance, Radar and National Centre for Independent Living, they aim to be the largest national pan-disability organisation led by disabled people. Disability Rights UK is led, run and controlled by disabled people, with disabled people making up at least three-quarters of its board members and focuses on promoting ‘meaningful’ independent living for disabled people, promoting disabled people’s leadership and control, breaking the link between disability and poverty, and campaigning for disability equality and human rights.

Telephone 020 7250 3222


This is the website for all government departments and also includes information from many other agencies and public bodies.

Whether you are an individual employer with one personal assistant working for you, or part of a larger organisation, it contains essential information, support and services.

You can find lots of information here including guidance on ensuring someone has the right to work in the UK, the law around working hours, holiday and sick pay for staff, the minimum wage, record keeping and grievance policies and procedures.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
They collect and administer direct and indirect taxes and pay and administer things like Child Benefit, Child Trust Fund and Tax Credits. They also protect you by enforcing and administering, border and frontier protection, environmental taxes, National Minimum Wage enforcement and recovery of student loans.
Telephone 0300 200 3200
Text phone 0300 200 3212
Facsimile 0191 285 4332
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 4pm
Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
HSE’s job is to prevent people being killed, injured or made ill by work.   (no general telephone helpline available)

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG)

LITRG work to improve the policy and processes of the tax, tax credit and associated welfare systems for the benefit of those on low incomes. In addition to their main website which offers information on tax, they run a specialist website which provides information, help and resources for anyone taking on a personal assistant. The website focuses on the tax and national insurance issues that might affect you if you decide to take someone on and also provides website users with access to a pilot email help service providing guidance and support on tax and national insurance queries.

The Pensions Regulator

Has information for employers about work-based pension schemes for your employees as well as information about automatic enrolment.

Telephone 0345 600 1011


The Pensions Regulator

PO Box 16314


B23 3JP

Royal Mail

You can use Royal Mail to set up a PO Box

Telephone 08457 950 950

Skills for Care

Skills for Care works with more than 19,000 adult social care employers and other partners to develop the skills, knowledge and values of the 1.5 million workers in our sector.

By working with employers and sharing best practice, we raise quality and standards across the whole sector and help ensure dignity and respect are at the heart of service delivery. 88% of our customers would recommend us to other employers.

Our work focuses on four key areas:

1.   Understanding the bigger picture

2.   Finding and keeping the right staff

3.   Setting the standards for quality care

4.   Looking ahead.

Skills for Care has a range of resources to help make your role as an employer easier to understand and to help support your PA with training and development.

Telephone 0113 245 1716

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm


Stop Hate UK

A charity that provides independent and confidential support to people affected by hate crime.

Telephone 0113 293 5100

Telephone (Text relay): 18001 0113 293 5100


Stop Hate UK

PO Box 484




Telephone 0800 138 1625

Telephone (Text relay): 18001 0800 138 1625

Text 07717 989 025


Web chat

Online form

Skills for Care have developed an Employing a PA Toolkit which sets out in individual booklets each detailing the different stages of recruiting and retaining PAs. Available in easy read, audio and visual.

Together with Individual Employers and PA’s we developed the Your Guide to Employing a PA in Portsmouth. This guide sets out the steps in recruiting a PA

The funding someone may received from Adult Social Care is called a Direct Payment, find out more from the Direct Payment Factsheet.

Managing a budget and being responsible to pay a PA wages can be daunting, but there are services available to you to support you with the financial aspects of hiring a PA.  Find out more in the Support to Manage your Direct Payment Factsheet.

Disclosure and Barring Service Check, what is it and how do I get one?

Insurance, who needs it and how much does it cost?

Discrimination, Protected Characteristics, what are your responsibilities?

Portsmouth City Council Training Directory for employers and PAs to find Portsmouth City Council run training sessions

Training Forms:

  1. PCC Training Booking Form
  2. Skills for Care Individual Employer Funding Application Form
  3. Portsmouth City Council Training Directory


  1. Interview Advice and Questions
  2. Employment Contract

Information hub for individual employers and personal assistants

*If you are looking for information that’s not here please tell us and we’ll do our best to get you the information you need and include it on the website for  others to use.